Even when I think I can, I can’t.
“A black female meteorologist has been fired from the ABC affiliate in Shreveport, La., she told Journal-isms, because she responded to a racial remark posted by a viewer on the station’s Facebook page.
KTBS-TV’s action against Rhonda Lee followed a previous response by Lee to a viewer who questioned whether she should wear her short Afro, suggesting she put on a wig or grow more hair.”
Blatant racism. I hope she sues the drawls off of them.
The patience and professionalism of this woman in dealing with blatant racists should have merited a raise.
This is what she was fired for responding to:
On Oct. 1, a viewer identified as Emmitt Vascocu wrote, “the black lady that does the news is a very nice lady.the only thing is she needs to wear a wig or grow some more hair. im not sure if she is a cancer patient. but still its not something myself that i think looks good on tv. what about letting someone a male have waist long hair do the news.what about that (cq).”
Lee replied the same day, “Hello Emmitt—I am the ‘black lady’ to which you are referring. I’m sorry you don’t like my ethnic hair. And no I don’t have cancer. I’m a non-smoking, 5’3, 121 lbs, 25 mile a week running, 37.5 year old woman, and I’m in perfectly healthy physical condition.
“I am very proud of my African-American ancestry which includes my hair. For your edification: traditionally our hair doesn’t grow downward. It grows upward. Many Black women use strong straightening agents in order to achieve a more European grade of hair and that is their choice. However in my case I don’t find it necessary. I’m very proud of who I am and the standard of beauty I display. Women come in all shapes, sizes, nationalities, and levels of beauty. Showing little girls that being comfortable in the skin and HAIR God gave me is my contribution to society. Little girls (and boys for that matter) need to see that what you look like isn’t a reason to not achieve their goals.
“Conforming to one standard isn’t what being American is about and I hope you can embrace that.
“Thank you for your comment and have a great weekend and thank for watching.”
(Applauds her) she needs to sue.
- namelessseoul reblogged this from likeadsandstuff
- effervescentforever likes this
- memoirsofanimperfectsweetheart likes this
- tanyadesu likes this
- deexquisite reblogged this from kinkycurls
- gnarltonbanks likes this
- lover-visionary likes this
- amyablility likes this
- scarredskinandsacredsoul reblogged this from 5evamore
- excitableplasticrabbits likes this
- wherekittensdare likes this
- ellaybee likes this
- weeabooty likes this
- 101flavorsofterrible likes this
- jadameetsworld reblogged this from thecontroversydaily
- crazedinsaneone likes this
- dragonscrush reblogged this from red3blog
- letsmakethismiraclehapen reblogged this from garudaegi
- bakabara likes this
- garudaegi reblogged this from retrorag
- legitimate-diversion likes this
- jillianpms reblogged this from thisshitisallracist
- kumikonaimah reblogged this from betteryetcrazy
- snugglesfordean reblogged this from thegreatnessideserve
- thegreatnessideserve reblogged this from hamburgerjack
- irleerah likes this
- smile-to-hide-the-pain reblogged this from titangroupie
- dahliasnroses likes this
- anoukc likes this
- sassyladythegeek likes this
- emmarieb89 reblogged this from madamethursday
- beersfordinner reblogged this from ceedling
- tinyfruitbat likes this
- cakedinosaur reblogged this from feministkoala
- ajourneyofepicproportions likes this
- lauraroslin likes this
- feministkoala reblogged this from feministsociology
- notwearingwords reblogged this from stfusexists
- aclownintime reblogged this from screamingcrawfish
- kisskissvertes reblogged this from tendu-releve-plie-all-day
- chainmetothesky reblogged this from isabelmagnolias
- tendu-releve-plie-all-day reblogged this from isabelmagnolias
- torchewood reblogged this from isabelmagnolias
- torchewood likes this
- upgraiden reblogged this from isabelmagnolias
- voltager likes this
- sir-arthur-conan-doyle likes this
- missbunks0613 reblogged this from isabelmagnolias
- isabelmagnolias reblogged this from indigoneversleeps